Saturday, January 12, 2013

First Soap: Melt and Pour Almond Honey Oatmeal Bars



Basket of soap
Creamy Oatmeal and Goats Milk, melt and pour, soap (Celtic shaped mold)
Welcome to my Soap Blog..Soothing Soaps

I wanted to use Oatmeal on my first Melt and Pour soap project because it's very moisturizing and great for dry skin. I get what I call "Winter skin". Since I received  a bunch of soap for Christmas this Celtic shaped soap is what I created. I made 4 bars but my mom took one as soon as it was done. Geesh!

I can't even begin to say how good the Honey Almond fragrance oil smells. I can't stop smelling it. It almost feels like a lotion bar because if you rub your thumb on the bar then rub your fingers together it's SO soft. I love it!

Ingredients Below
GATHER THESE SUPPLIES


INGREDIENTS FOR OATMEAL RECIPE:
  • Celtic Mold (from exfoliating soap kit at Hobby Lobby)
  • Ground up Oatmeal (1.5oz) The pic above shows more but I didn't use all of it.
  • Goats Milk Soap base, 8oz, (Hobby Lobby, Michaels, Joann)
  • Honey Almond Fragrance Oil from Hobby Lobby (see how to calculate it under How to Instructions)

OTHER ITEMS USED:
  • Pyrex or heat save container to heat soap in
  • Spoon or Spatula to mix soap
  • Rubbing Alcohol spritz bottle
  • Any colorant you would like to add. I didn't add color this time)
  • Scale
HOW TO INSTRUCTIONS:
These bars must only be 2 oz each because I heated up 8oz of soap.

FIRST: I measured 8 oz of Goats Milk base on a scale and heated it up in the microwave using a heat save Pyrex measuring cup.

SECOND:  I heated it up for 30 sec, 15 sec x 2, 10 sec x 2. Mixed it really well each time.

THIRD: Add the 1.5 oz, or more, of ground oatmeal. Put a lot in a blender.

FORTH: Add 1/4th of an ounce of Fragrance Oil. To determine how much you should use, use this calculation. 2.5% of the weight of your soap base. You can do more or less if you want.
So I calculated 8 ounces of soap x 2.5%= 0.2 ounces. So that's 1/5 of an ounce of fragrance oil
. I wanted to turn that measurement into something like teaspoons. I found a fragrance calculator at https://www.thesage.com/calcs/fragcalc.html  It's below and it says use 1.14 tsp. I just used 1 1/4 teaspoon (1.25)

Conversion Calculator for Fragrance Oil (Soap)

LAST: Pour the soap in the molds and spritz the top with Rubbing Alcohol to eliminate any air bubbles.

I let it sit for a couple hours. I wasn't sure how long it would take to set.




I wanted to show the back of the bar so you could see the oatmeal a little better. Since these bars are for my own use I just wrapped them in Seran wrap.

A new year bring a new hobby, as if I don't have enough of them.
Thanks for seeing my first post!!!
Heather